Horsey, L.A. Times…”The gun lobby depends on a legion of idiots.”

crickett ny first rifleThis afternoon I had the brain numbing misfortune of reading an L.A. Times article by a Mr. David Horsey. It was one of those headlines I simply could not ignore. I understand that at times many writers, including myself, venture into the realm of the absurd to prove a point. But this was over the line. How can you exploit the death of a 2-year-old girl to take potshots at the NRA and gun owners?

The headline from the L.A. Times reads “Exercising 2nd Amendment rights, Kentucky 5-year-old kills sister.” The article has very little merit and in a classless act makes fun at the expense of a two-year old child who was shot and killed by her five-year-old brother. Rather than tackle the real issue of questionable parenting decisions, David Horsey decided to make this a 2nd Amendment issue. Here are some excerpts from his article:

“This week, a 5-year-old Kentucky boy was playing with the mini-rifle he had gotten as a gift and ended up shooting and killing his 2-year-old sister. Apparently, even kindergartners have a right to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed.

I suppose someone will suggest that giving guns to children under 3 feet tall should be outlawed, but such a law would certainly be opposed by the National Rifle Assn. as the first step down a slippery slope toward confiscating all guns and enslaving America. Maybe a better idea would be to fine anyone idiotic enough to put a gun in the hands of a tiny child. Possible? Naw, the NRA would kill that idea too. The gun lobby depends on a legion of idiots.

But, hey, here’s an idea the NRA could support: Arm 2-year-olds so they can defend themselves. A toddler militia — what could be more American?”

Mr. Horsey you know nothing about the 2nd Amendment or responsible gun ownership it would seem. I was given my first gun on my 10th Birthday and it was nothing like the gun you mention, which I agree is a horrible idea for a 5-year-old child. I was given a Daisy BB Gun that had a max range of about 20 feet. I don’t honestly think it had enough power to break skin. I’d fire it at a cardboard box and the BB’s would literally bounce off.

My Father taught me the responsibility of gun ownership. I am part of the “legion of idiots” which you speak of and a proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment, which has nothing to do with arming 5-year-old kids with lethal weapons.

YouTube Preview Image

Why can’t you state the real issue Mr. Horsey? Companies are making dangerous guns and marketing them to children and the variable in that equation is responsible parenting. If there is a parenting breakdown then this combination is very dangerous and potentially lethal. I would never buy a young child a .22 rifle and most parents would not. I would also not leave any weapon with a bullet in the chamber left lying in a corner of the house. If a parent does decide to buy a .22 rifle for a 5-year-old child then my hope is that they would be responsible role models and teach the values and responsibilities of gun ownership. My personal opinion is that most 5-year-olds are not  ready for that lesson but that is just my opinion.

I suspect that we actually agree on some of these issues but this case has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment. So why can’t you state what the problem is really about? Maybe it’s because liberals don’t like to talk about family values and responsible parenting. Maybe it’s because the liberal agenda depends on broken homes and single parents who are lining up to accept handouts. I can throw general insults too Mr. Horsey. We could potentially agree on this topic and discuss it as adults if you would highlight the real issues.

The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with the bad decisions of parenting that may result in a horrible tragedy like this one and you know it. If this is what we can expect from the liberal media establishment of the west coast and specifically the L.A. Times then I would think that you sir are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

This poor child has likely not even been laid to rest yet and you launch this kind of idiocy? By the way, the little girl had a name. Her name was Caroline Sparks and she was someone’s little angel. As a man with 3 beautiful daughters and twin girls on the way I can only imagine the horror of the parents at this time.

One again we see a liberal theorist using children to try to advance and agenda. This time however you weren’t showing pictures and gathering them around your “King” to pull at our heartstrings. Mr. Horsey, no one wants to see your ass.

For the record, I attempted to visit crickett.com (the makers of “My First Rifle”) because I wanted to see if they had age guidelines in place. The site is down for some reason. I don’t know if they have taken the site down intentionally or if there is another issue. I do know that the real issue, in my mind, is parenting decisions and a company that is marketing potentially lethal weapons to children. At the same time I am not looking to capitalize on the tragic death of a little two-year-old baby girl to push any agenda. It pains me to say that I agree with part of your logic Mr. Horsey. I am however resentful of the way you presented your arguments.

I would ask for my respected peers from the “legion of idiots” to please send thoughts and prayers to the family of Caroline Sparks.

Rest in Peace Little Princess.

12 Responses to Horsey, L.A. Times…”The gun lobby depends on a legion of idiots.”

1. Pingback: Cheap Nike Free 3.0 V4 Summer RedBlack Men's Running shoes HT

2. captnorman44 says:

I started shooting at eight years of age. I was tramping through the woods at six years of age and had my own firearms at twelve years of age. I spent six years in the U.S. Navy, many years as an active member of various sportsmen clubs, and even more years as a law enforcement officer. It is my DUTY to be a proud part of the militia of the United States of America.

3. John R says:

I have a solution for the gun control debate that is obviously a political issue.

No Democrat shall own, possess, use, or be protected by a firearm of any kind.

When the Democratic Party rids themselves of the association with the Socialist, Marxist infiltration, the preceding federal law may be repealed by a unanimous vote of the Republican Party.

4. Pingback: Horsey, L.A. Times…”The gun lobby depends on a legion of idiots.” |

5. Bruce Dunaway says:

I have seven children all of which have been around firearms for their entire life. The proper way to introduce firearms to children is remove curiosity. I allowed them to touch and shoot any firearm whenever they wanted for as long as they wanted. Here is the key, strong defined rules and safety training as to when they could touch them and how to hold them. Rule # 1 – Never touch firearm unless handed to them by an adult. #2 If they happen to find a firearm anywhere to Stop-Call out for Adult to get firearm and under no circumstance are they to touch it. # 3 Never put finger on trigger until the intended target is safe to shoot at whereas they are instructed to fire weapon then immediately move finger from trigger. Never Ever point firearm at something that they do not intend to KILL, emphasis the word KILL. I let them shoot at milk jugs filled with colored water to demonstrate the impact effect of bullet and make sure they have a full understanding of the lethal effect of the bullet. This is done in repletion at each outing as it my responsibility to keep them and other safe. I now have 10 grandkids and they are in training too. Each child is different,so as a parent you have to understand that and if you have a TYPE A (rule don’t deter this type) child extra precautions need to be in place. We live on a farm ,so there are more things than firearms to kill or injure a child that has not been properly safety trained. No Means No, Stop means freeze and I follow up with discipline. By the way my kids still love me, so don’t think I’m a hard ass control freak, quite the opposite. I just don’t repeat my self. I expect them to listen for their own good. Reference supplied upon request..(:>)

PS- I always make sure all weapons are unloaded and put safely away and ammo is out of reach of children. Sometime it may not just be your kids around.

6. Matt says:

I bought my 9 year old daughter a Crickett .22 rifle. The FIRST thing I taught her about firearms is that “every firearm is to be considered loaded” and treated as such. When not in use, her rifle is unloaded and a locking trigger guard is installed. It is the use of proper instruction and oversight of firearms that ensures a SAFE and fun firearms experience.

• Matt says:

Forgot to mention: Keystone Sporting Arms (KSA) the maker of the Crickett rifle has NUMEROUS safety messages on its website. I believe there is also a downloadable safe firearms handling for children document on the website too. KSA does not seem to be an irresponsible company to me, but exactly the opposite. They want their products used in a SAFE and RESPONSIBLE manner. The literature that is included with the rifle clearly states that the rifle is to be used ONLY under ADULT SUPERVISION.

7. Robert Jones says:

This is typical of the libs, never let a tragedy go to waste.

8. Constitutionalist says:

I was shooting before I was 11 years old, but I have never killed anyone before. My dad and brothers took a lot of time to teach me what it meant to be a responsible gun owner, so I am. I’m very tired of the liberals attempts to portray themselves as the protectors of the innocent. Yeah, the same ones who passed Roe v. Wade.

9. ChristCrusader says:

This is a parenting deficiency tragedy. Akin to a child + pool tragedy. Proper safety instruction, supervision, and physical/mechanical safeguards could have gone a long way towards prevention. Nothing to do with 2nd amendment, but a lot to do with insensitive use of assault writing. Shame on him for misusing the tragedy.

10. rick marlar says:

I do not think that the cricket rifle is marketed to 5 year olds. My children were taught to shoot a an early age but were never allow to handle firearms with out direct supervision. This is a culture issue you cannot have rights with out responsibility nor can you allow the untrained to have access to anything that can harm themselves or others.

11. BitterClinger says:

Liberalism is a mental disorder…