Brooks HambyWhen I see stories like this one, I truly believe that though the darkness seems to be closing in around us, that in the next generation there are still those that are being raised up who will stand against the darkness. Brooks Hamby seems to be one of those young men. After discovering he was his class’s salutatorian at Brawley Union High School, Hamby submitted three drafts of his speech for graduation, only to have them rejected by school officials for mentioning his Christian faith.

Friends, before I begin, I’ve said it all along that we should not be sending our kids to these government indoctrination centers, but give ourselves to doing whatever it takes to educate them ourselves. After all, this is what parenting is.

However, when confronted with being told he could not mention God, the Bible or the Christian faith, watch and listen to the boldness of this young man; something faintly familiar to the great Reformer Martin Luther’s own words, in which he said in the face of the tyrannical Roman Catholic Church that sought his death:

“I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God. Amen.”

Hamby, not swayed by the pressure of school officials, demonstrated the same thing Luther did. He openly and boldly proclaimed the God of Scripture and asked for His blessing upon the graduates.

“In coming before you today, I presented three drafts of my speech, all of them denied on account of my desire to share with you my personal thoughts and inspiration to you: my Christian faith,” Hamby declared. “In life, you will be told, ‘No.’ In life you will be told to do things that you have no desire to do. In life, you will be asked to do things that violate your conscience and desire to do what is right.”

“No man or woman has ever truly succeeded or been fulfilled on the account of living for others and not standing on what they knew in their heart was right or good,” he added.

He then concluded with a quote from the “biggest, best-selling book in history.”

“You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.”

“You are the salt of the earth,” Hamby stated. “Be strong and stand for your convictions and stand for what is right, what is ethical, what is moral and Godly, no matter what is the cost to you.”

“Stand for what is good wherever you go and whatever you do,” he admonished.

In concluding his remarks, Hamby congratulated the class of 2014 and pled that the God of the Bible would bless them in their future endeavors.

“Congratulations Class of 2014,” he said. “Thank you, and may the God of the Bible bless you, each and every one of you every day for the rest of your lives.”

Hamby was chosen as a US Senate Page last year. Interestingly enough, he was sponsored by far left, Democratic California Senator Barbara Boxer. Selected as one of 30 students, the son of Mark and Trina Hamby did not provide self-aggrandizement, but rather said, “I am humbled to be able to witness and participate in this way to learn to serve my God and Country to the fullest extent in my future.”

Friends, this is what it will take. It will take young and old in America to stand up to those seeking to shift our civilization, who constantly use Marxist and Alinsky tactics to strike fear in our hearts. But we are free men. We must not bow or be scared to stand for the God of the Bible or for His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, to whom every knee will bow and tongue confess that He is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

May He grant us the same grace and courage to do as Brooks Hamby and may He give us the victory over His and our enemies and restore us both in repentance of sin and the restoration of the United States of America for His name’s sake. Amen.

Tim Brown is the Editor of Freedom Outpost.

34 Responses to Salutatorian Rejects School Officials – Asks for “God of the Bible” to Bless Graduates

1. Georgie says:

From all of these ramblings I’m beginning to think that we should all get together to fix Laura Bernard and RBODELL up. Sounds to me like they would make a peach of a pair. What say you, folks???????

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

Thank you, but no. I am quite happy with the man I am with. Based on your comments, I don’t think you would choose a man with whom I would be happy.

Bless your heart, though, your concern is very considerate.

• Georgie says:

This was intended as sarcasm, Laura.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

Maybe you can help me out, Georgie. Which part was intended as sarcasm? That I ramble (sometimes, guilty); that bozo and I would make a ‘peach of a pair'; or your suggestion that you ‘all’ get together to fix the two of us up?

One, two, or all three?

A couple of weeks of working overtime, two nights of no sleep and one night of some fitful sleep, and just receiving bad news has caused my focus to be a little ‘off.’

• Georgie says:

Well, if you are a regular poster, you would know who he is. I simply cannot explain his mindset……..sorry. But then again, perhaps this issue is a bit more than he can handle. No harm intended.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

I am a regular poster and I know way too well who bozo is. I agree that his mindset cannot be explained. I was puzzled by what you were saying about ME by connecting me with him. My foggy brain gratefully accepts your ‘no harm intended.’

• Georgie says:

So lighten up, Laura, and remember – God never gives you more than the grace He gives you to handle it!

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

I don’t believe God directly intervenes in our lives, but YOU do. So, I thankfully accept your good wishes.

When someone asks people to pray for them, I do. Our thoughts and actions have energy. That energy focused on someone/thing CAN effect change.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

Bwahahahahahahaha….NOW I get it, lol.

You were referring to my recent, and thankfully brief, journey into the land of the insane and absurd. You’re the third person to mention that; and the fourth person who said something that made me take a step back and laugh at myself.

It must have been a preeeeeetty bad visit to obsessive/compulsion country. :)

2. 5warveteran says:

Fvck the school officials IT WAS HIS DAY!
    This is what every one needs to know.

3. Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

A question….would those who support what this young man did be just as supportive of someone from the Jewish faith asking for the God of the Torah to bless the class? How about a muslim asking for allah & mohammed of the koran to bless the class? What about other deities from other religions, would you be just as supportive?

Would you support that?

• jonolan says:

Ah yes…insult and accusation in the form of a question. Pretty standard these days.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

Kindly tell me which part was insult or accusation?

“Our Constitution protects what this young man did, the school had no authority to deny him. It protects the followers of other religions doing the same, the school would have no authority to deny them, either.”

So, which part of my statement that the young man’s actions were protected by the Constitution AND that the school had no authority to deny him was insult or accusation?

Which part of my statement that followers of other religions doing the same is also protected by the Constitution and the school would have no authority to deny them, either, was insult or accusation?

Assumptions also seem to be pretty standard these days.

• Georgie says:

Yes, I would support others’ views. I believe this is called ‘tolerance’ and it is a basic structure for being able to live side by side with our fellow man. I do not feel it is fair to deny others their basic rights – but I find it incredibly offensive when people are “get in your face” indignant. I believe the last great sin committed by humanity was in denying blacks their proper place in society. But that is in the past – so get over it! If you belong to the LGBT community, fine. Do whatever you feel is right for you…..but don’t slam my rights or my feelings if I don’t agree with you. If you weren’t so indignant and verbally abusive, most people would probably ignore your lifestyle choices and simply let you live in peace.

Any race, religion, cult or whatever that feels their rights should be elevated above others is not offering solutions but are part of the problem. Being a Christian, I feel that I will win in the end and I need not condemn anyone who disagrees with that. I simply pray……and ignore you!

And in closing – folks, all of this is so unimportant in comparison with what is going on in the world. We have an administration that is sending the USA straight to hell. So give the government a break from all of these silly problems and demand that the whores who hold office be held accountable to our Constitution.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

I never mentioned other views or being tolerant. I’m talking about the government violating the ‘free exercise’ clause, asking who believes in the ‘free exercise’ of ALL religions, and who believes in the ‘free exercise’ of only their chosen religion.

The government doesn’t have Constitutional authority to designate any place off limits to religious expression. In fact, it is specifically prohibited from doing so – ‘congress shall make no law…..prohibiting the free exercise…”

For the government to be in compliance with both parts of the religion clause, what it allows members of one religion to do, it must also allow the members of other religions to do.

Christians (I’m saying Christians because the article is about a young Christian man) want their Right to exercise their religion honored – even around those who have different beliefs. Members of other religions want the same thing.

My question is, are people willing to do that?

Addressing your last paragraph. You think this issue is not as important as other problems we are facing, others disagree. Our federal government IS illegitimate – it has been out of compliance with the Constitution for MANY years. People have the Right to focus on what is important to them – even when others feel that issue is silly.

“Do whatever you feel is right for you…..but don’t slam my rights or my feelings if I don’t agree with you.”

• Thom says:

Yes to all but allah and mohammed They don’t deserve to share our way of life and they would just be lying anyway.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

Thom, I don’t disagree with your opinion.

*Sigh* As long as it is a legally recognized ‘religion’ it has the protection of our laws.

I do see evidence (mountains of it) that our government IS elevating it above other religions and giving it considerations the government has denied to other religions.

• IAMME says:

jonolan, That is a great post.Look at the two fence riders come back —–priceless! Your post made my day.
      As far as supporting others rights I wouldn’t make a blanket policy on others rights.People seem to forget where their rights STOP and others rights BEGIN!

• jonolan says:

Well, it just seemed to me that her “question” was really just an accusation of bigotry with a question mark on the end of it. It also was based upon the false equivalency of Christianity and other religions in the US.

I’m what is normally referred to as a Pagan but I know and accept that America is a Christian nation in ways except law and that a Christian blessing, benediction, or reference at a school function is different and less offensive than one from other religionists.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

You can ‘think’ what you want about my motives – your thoughts are assumptions, only.

The Constitution does not mention God, the Bible, or Christianity. The 1st amendment is clear that ALL have the SAME Right to express their religious beliefs. NO religion is above others.

We are NOT a Christian nation. We are a FEDERATION with freedom of ALL religions. The major religion in our Country is Christianity. This does not mean it gets special consideration.

Our Country has changed. It is a false belief that what people did during the early years of our Country, we should be doing now. No, beliefs have changed, attitudes and understandings have changed.

The people who founded our Country were mostly Christians – so what. That doesn’t mean Christianity is elevated above other religions – that it should be granted considerations other religions are not.

“… a Christian blessing, benediction, or reference at a school function is different and less offensive than one from other religionists.”

That is YOUR belief, it is not the belief of others AND it is not what our Constitution says. Our Constitution makes no distinction between religions.

• Georgie says:

No Laura. Get your historical facts straight. The men who founded this country were not Christians……they were Deists. They believed in a natural religion based on human morality and reason rather than divine revelation.

Well it is obvious that “human morality and reason” hasn’t worked out very well for us – as evidenced by the election of the devil we now have in the white house!

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

No. They weren’t. Jefferson, Paine, and Franklin (he went back & forth a few times) were deists, maybe a few others, I’d have to look again to list all of them.

The religion of the men who wrote and signed our Founding documents are recorded and can be found in many place. Would you like me to provide the links, or you or would prefer to trust the ones YOU find?

Our Country wasn’t founded on Christianity. It was founded on Natural Law, republicanism, the philosophies of the Age of Enlightenment, and universal concepts of right and wrong.

Our DoI doesn’t mention the God of the Bible. It uses other words to refer to a higher being. The God of Nature, Creator, etc. It doesn’t mention the Bible, Christianity, or Christ. The Constitution mentions religion. When stating the date of the signing, it uses the form ‘the year of our Lord.’ That was the proper form and does not indicate a Constitutional endorsement of Christianity.

I’m not sure which definition of ‘devil’ you are using. We have elected many evil, greedy, corrupt people to government offices, I agree. I have never encountered an elected official more contemptuous and dismissive of our Constitution and laws than obama. I have been stunned time and time again by his crimes AND the lack of action by the people elected to uphold and defend our Constitution, Rights, and laws. Their Constitutional DUTY is to remove elected officials such as obama, yet they do nothing.

I have been shocked at the abuses of authority by our LEOs AND the sanction of those abuses by the courts.

Our Country is in serious trouble, not just from our lawless officials, but economic danger and danger from overseas as well.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

I’m not sure why you posted this link in response to my comment. Was it in reference to my last paragraph and the danger we are in? If so, thank you, it was an interesting read.

• alive2god says:

Hmmm, doesn’t mention? Pray tell, what is that section at the end that states “In the Year of Our Lord?” Who is that a reference to? Just curious.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

From my comment, you must have missed it.

“When stating the date of the signing, it uses the form ‘the year of our Lord.’ That was the proper form and does not indicate a Constitutional endorsement of Christianity.”

• alive2god says:

Laura,

You must have a strange definition of deist. While I don’t believe either Jefferson, Franklin or Paine were Christians, at least in the historical sense, all of them would affirm the morality found in Scripture. Jefferson even went so far as to call himself a Christian. Yes, that is in his writings, which I have read. He hated Reformed Presbyterians like myself though:)

However, a deist would not think to call upon God as he does not believe God intervenes in the affairs of men.

Franklin said the following:

“Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth- that God Governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the sacred writings, that “except the Lord build the House they labour in vain that build it.” I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better, than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall become a reproach and bye word down to future ages. And what is worse, mankind may hereafter from this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing Governments by Human wisdom and leave it to chance, war and conquest.
            I therefore beg leave to move-that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the Clergy of this City be requested to officiate in that Service-”

Doesn’t sound like a deist to me.

• Laura Bernard Mielcarek says:

Oh, FFS. I don’t have a strange definition of deist.

Jefferson didn’t reject the Bible, he rejected the divinity of Christ – he greatly admired Jesus as a moral philosopher. When putting together his Jefferson Bible, he literally cut out all the references to the supernatural, miracles, and the Resurrection.

Written in 1804, Jefferson describes his book ‘The Philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth’ to John Adams in a letter he wrote him in October, 1813.

“In extracting the pure principles which he taught, we should have to strip off the artificial vestments in which they have been muffled by priests, who have travestied them into various forms, as instruments of riches and power to themselves. We must dismiss the Platonists and Plotinists, the Stagyrites and Gamalielites, the Eclectics, the Gnostics and Scholastics, their essences and emanations, their logos and demiurges, aeons and daemons, male and female, with a long train of … or, shall I say at once, of nonsense. We must reduce our volume to the simple evangelists, select, even from them, the very words only of Jesus, paring off the amphibologisms into which they have been led, by forgetting often, or not understanding, what had fallen from him, by giving their own misconceptions as his dicta, and expressing unintelligibly for others what they had not understood themselves. There will be found remaining the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man. I have performed this operation for my own use, by cutting verse by verse out of the printed book, and arranging the matter which is evidently his, and which is as easily distinguishable as diamonds in a dunghill. The result is an octavo of forty-six pages, of pure and unsophisticated doctrines.”

Yes, Jefferson DID say he was a Christian, and he explained his statement this way:

“I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus.”

He believed in the moral and philosophical teachings of Jesus. He rejected everything Divine and supernatural about him.

Regarding Franklin, this is also from my previous comment:

“…and Franklin (he went back & forth a few times)…”

During his life he changed his mind a few times. I would have to look up my links to make an accurate statement, but I literally JUST got bad news and I don’t feel like doing it now. IIRC, at the end of his life, Franklin was, again, claiming Christianity.

• Thom says:

Truer words were never printed. Good job IAMME. There seems to be as many people ‘hiding behind our Constitution as there are those who believe in it and treat it with respect.

4. Georgie says:

Here is a young man who is ready to meet the world head-on. I congratulate him!

Isn’t it strange how the far left condemns those with whom they disagree but yet they try and shove their beliefs and agendas down our throats? I, for one, have had enough of this. I’ve always believed in ‘live and let live’ and to simply pray for those that I don’t agree with – not to abuse them verbally. This goes for the LGBT community, blacks, other religions, etc. But I must admit, all of the brouhaha they are causing has left a very sour taste in my mouth for their “causes”. And when enough of America has been pushed past their limits, the far left will be left hiding under rocks. And it can’t come soon enough to suit me!

5. PRAISE THE LORD, FOR THIS YOUNG GENTLEMAN

6. Thom says:

Suck on that lollipop you liberals bastards.