The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution states:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Increasingly, however, police across America are violating the 4th Amendment by storming into homes, armed to the teeth in military gear, under the pretext of apprehending some suspected criminal.
Sometimes, the police raids are not just mistaken but end in tragedy. That’s what happened recently in Brooklyn, NY, to Haitian immigrant and father of 8, 42-year-old Carlos Alcis.
Police stormed into the Alcis family’s basement apartment in Brooklyn.
On August 15, 2013, at 5:30 a.m., a young woman was punched in the face at Kings Highway and Rockaway Parkway in Brooklyn and robbed of her iPhone. A witness followed the robber to a two-story brick building where the Alcis family lives in a basement apartment and called the cops.
So cops stormed the Alcis apartment, which led to Carlos collapsing in a heart attack. It took the ambulance 30 minutes to arrive although the apartment was only blocks away from Brookdale University Hospital. By the time the ambulance arrived, however, Carlos had died.
All this over a stolen iPhone.
It turns out the robber suspect was not a member of Alcis family and was not in their apartment. (Source: NY Daily News)
Here’s WildBillForAmerica on the militarization of police:
- “President Lucifer’s Police in Action,” Aug. 6, 2013.
- “Police scanners record location and movement of every car in America,” July 17, 2013.
- “Nevada family arrested for not letting police use their home as lookout,” July 5, 2013.
- “US military gives itself authority to police America without permission,” May 20, 2013.
- “Florida county sheriff wants Americans to inform on anyone who “hates government”,” May 8, 2013.
- “Injustice Rising in America,” (militarization of US police), April 8, 2013.
- “Obama regime supplies military-grade arms to police,” Feb. 10, 2013.
Dr. Eowyn is the Editor of Fellowship of the Minds and a regular contributor to The D.C. Clothesline.