Thanks to coverage on prominent sites like DrudgeReport, the story reached into mainstream media, prompting official spin and downplaying of the purchase.
Now, a new Homeland Security purchase order listed on FedBizOpps also raises an eyebrow or two, given the heated and divided political and social climate at hand. Just look at what happened in Ferguson…
A request for “less lethal specialty munitions” for use by Homeland Security dated March 23, 2015 reads:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) intends to solicit responses to Request for Information (RFI) 20082225-JTC for Less Lethal Specialty Munitions (LLSM) for use by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). CBP is interested in incorporating commercial and industry practices that support this type of procurement. To accomplish this, CBP intends to make industry a partner in all facets of the acquisition process, specifically by considering existing market capabilities, strengths and weaknesses for the acquisition of this commodity.
Over the course of 9 pages (PDF), the technical requirements call for an arsenal of specialized weaponry for training and deployment against crowds.
On top of a wide range of gas and chemical grenades, rubber bullets and other riot rounds, the purchase calls for “controlled noise and light distraction devices,” including flash bangs which set off a 175 dB sound with 6 – 8 million candelas light bursts in 10 milliseconds.
So why are the Feds prepping to take on crowds?
Officially, the request is put through Customs and Border Patrol, a subset of the Department of Homeland Security, but it is unlikely that the equipment will be used to protect the border and keep out illegal aliens. But the riot gear and crowd control devices have many potential uses.
Perhaps, the equipment for use in instances like last year, when protesters in Murrieta confronted Customs and Border Patrol agents and blocked buses carrying a wave of illegal immigrants from Central America?
The requested equipment includes:
Hand Delivered Pyrotechnic Canisters, including
- Smoke Canister for Training (Reduced Toxicity)
- Continuous Discharge Large Smoke Canister (Operations)
- Continuous Discharge CS Canister
- Orange Colored Smoke Canister
- Green Colored Smoke Canister
- Pocket Tactical Smoke Canister
- Pocket Tactical CS Canister
- Three Part Sub-Munitions CS Canister
- Non-Burning Internal Canister OC Grenade
Non-Pyrotechnic Indoor/Outdoor Use
- Flameless Expulsion Grenade (OC)
- Flameless Expulsion Grenade (CS)
- Flameless Expulsion Grenade (Inert)
Hand Delivered Rubber Ball Grenades
- Rubber Ball Grenade
- Rubber Ball Grenade (CS)
40mm Launched Specialty Impact Munitions
- 40mm Direct Impact Sponge Cartridge
40mm Direct Impact Sponge Cartridge (OC)
- 40mm Direct Impact Sponge Cartridge (Marking)
- 40mm Direct Impact Sponge Cartridge (Inert)
- 40mm Sponge Training Rounds
Crowd Management Projectile Cartridges
- 40mm Smokeless Powder Blast (OC)
- 40mm Smokeless Powder Blast (CS)
- 40mm Long Range Canister (CS)
- 40mm Long Range Canister (Smoke)
- 40mm Cartridge Four Part Sub-Munitions (CS)
- 40mm Cartridge Four Part Sub-Munitions (Smoke)
- 40mm Aerial Warning Munitions (100 Meters)
- 40mm Aerial Warning Munitions (200 Meters)
- 40mm Aerial Warning Munitions (300 Meters)
- 40mm Aerial Warning Munitions OC (100 Meters)
- 40mm Aerial Warning Munitions OC (200 Meters)
- 40mm Aerial Warning Munitions OC (300 Meters)
Controlled Noise And Light Distraction Devices
- Distraction Device Compact
- Distraction Device
- Distraction Device Reloadable Steel Body
- Distraction Device Reload
- Command Initiated Distraction Device Reload
- Distraction Device Training Fuse
- Distraction Device Training Body
- Multiple Detonation Distraction Device
- Low Profile Distraction Device
- Command Initiator
- 40mm Ferret Round (OC Powder)
- 40mm Ferret Round (OC Liquid)
- 40mm Ferret Round (CS Powder)
- 40mm Ferret Round (CS Liquid)
- 40mm Ferret Round (Inert Powder)
The ferret rounds are designed to penetrate barriers and deliver debilitating or disrupting chemicals:
“The projectile shall be designed to penetrate barriers of glass, particle board, and interior walls. Upon impact of the barrier, the nose cone will rupture and instantaneously deliver the OC liquid on the other side of the barrier. “
The collection of equipment provides a diverse range of toys with which authorities could push back crowds and potentially intimidate free speech as well.
What do the Feds know that we don’t?
They are getting ready… are you?
Courtesy of SHTFplan.com