On August 10, 2015, the 185,000-member National Nurses United endorsed Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) for the presidency at a “Brunch with Bernie” event at union headquarters in Oakland, California.
The National Nurses United (NNU) is the largest union and professional association of registered nurses in the United States. NNU was founded in December 2009 by combining three nursing organizations (California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee, United American Nurses, and Massachusetts Nurses Association) into one, for the express purpose of giving registered nurses a national voice and organizing power.
Politico writes that “The Sanders endorsement isn’t a surprise: The NNU has long been a militant outlier among labor unions. It opposed the Affordable Care Act because it wasn’t single-payer, and in 2000 its predecessor union, the California Nurses Association, endorsed Ralph Nader over Al Gore for president.”
That being said, the fact that the largest professional association of nurses in America has endorsed Sanders for the presidency should be a cause for concern to all Americans, most of whom will be hospitalized at some point in our lives, especially when we become old and feeble. By their endorsement, the National Nurses United is signaling their approval of Sanders’ political positions, which include the absolute right to abort and euthanasia.
Below is a list of information I’ve compiled on Bernie Sanders. As you read it, just remember that the largest nurses’ association in America wants this man to be president.
- Bernie Sanders will be 74 years old on Sept. 8.
- Married to Jane Driscoll, his second wife, Sanders has an out-of-wedlock son, Levi, from a relationship he had between marriage #1 and marriage #2.
- Sanders’ father was a Jew who immigrated from Poland; his mother was born of two New York Jews. Sanders has said he is “proud to be Jewish”, but “not particularly religious.”
- Sanders is an Independent and calls himself a “democratic socialist”. Semantics aside, Sanders is an outright socialist since his student days at the University of Chicago when he joined the Young People’s Socialist League, the official youth arm of the Socialist Party of America.
- Though not religious, Sanders admires Pope Francis, another socialist, for the latter’s stance on “economic issues,” referring to Bergoglio’s call for redistribution of wealth by the state and by a new global authority.
STANCE ON ISSUES
- Sanders is a long-time supporter of homosexual marriage, before it became fashionable. Vermont is the first state to legalize same-sex marriage in 2009.
- He supports Obama’s HHS mandate: Sanders wants government to force all health care insurance, including religious groups, to provide free birth control, including contraceptives that are abortifacients.
- If you like big government, you’ll like Sanders. He wants a Big Government On Steroids: free college tuition and an expansion of our already insolvent entitlement programs. He writes on his website: “Instead of cutting Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and nutrition programs, we should be expanding these programs.”
- Obamacare isn’t enough for Sanders. He wants a single-payer, i.e., government-run healthcare system.
- Sanders favors gun control, including a ban on assault weapons.
- Sanders favors a “path to citizenship” for illegals (whatever that means), but is a skeptic on both illegal and legal immigration, believing that open borders will drive down wages and constitute a threat to American jobs.
- Sanders is rabidly pro-abortion:
- He wants unrestricted late-term or partial-birth abortion, i.e., abortion in the 3rd trimester.
- He favors letting minors cross states to get an abortion.
- He supports US AID
“family planning”abortion and UN funding for abortion.
- He voted no on a bill that would make it a criminal offense to harm or kill a fetus during the commission of a violent crime.
- He supports human embryonic stem cell research and expanding the research to more embryonic stem cell lines.
- Given the above (A-E), it is not surprising that Sanders is rated 100% by NARAL, indicating a perfect pro-abortion voting record.
- Sanders supports euthanasia— assisted suicide for terminally-ill patients. European countries have shown that physician-assisted suicide for the terminally ill opens the door to horrific abuses. See “Belgium’s culture of death: Thousands are euthanized without their consent” and “Belgium considering new euthanasia law FOR KIDS“. Then there are the financial incentives for euthanasia. See “Euthanasia on the rise in American due to lucrative organ-harvesting“.
That nurses, who are charged with caring for us when we’re the most vulnerable, have so little regard and respect for the preciousness of life as to endorse a man who is rabidly pro-abort and supports euthanasia, is a frightening thought.
Dr. Eowyn’s article originally appeared at Fellowship of the Minds.