If you ever wondered what life was really like in a post-collapse society, look no further than Venezuela. Today, I’d like to share a first-hand report of everyday life there.
The country has been on the way down since a socialist government destroyed the economy. Here’s a quick timeline:
- Private ownership of guns was banned in 2012. Then things began to go downhill in a hurry.
- In 2013, preppers were relabeled “hoarders” and the act of stocking up became illegal.
- In 2014, the government instituted a fingerprint registry for those who wished to buy food to ensure they didn’t take more than their “share.”
- In 2015, things began to devolve more quickly as electricity began to be rationed and farmers were forced to turn over their harvests to the government.
- 2016 brought the announcement that folks were on their own – there was simply not enough food. As well, despite the rationing, an electricity shortage was announced.
- 2016 also brought the news that the country was out of everything: food, medicine, and nearly all basic necessities. People were dying of starvation and malnourishment made other illnesses even worse. Hyperinflation brought exorbitant prices, like $150 for a dozen eggs.
- Now, civil war is near (if not already happening.) They’re calling it “protests” but violence between the people and the government is ongoing. This rage is stoked by wealthy Venezuelans who enjoy luxurious meals, fabulous parties, and lush accommodations while the rest of the country struggles to find a bag of rice they can afford. Let them eat cake?
It appears there is no end in sight to the tribulations of the Venezuelans.
So, what is day-to-day life like for the average Venezuelan?
A reader from Venezuela took the time to comment and tell us what life is really like there. You can find her story below. (I’ve edited for spacing to make them easier to read, but please keep in mind that English is a second language.)
Daisy Thank you so much for this content.
I’m a venezuelan mom of a 1 year old baby. And we are living a war here