POSTED BY: DEAN JAMES
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Following a series of fatal mass shootings across the country, U.S. Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, today introduced the Federal Firearm Licensing Act. The ambitious legislation would require individuals to obtain a firearm license from the Department of Justice (DOJ) before purchasing or receiving a firearm. Also today, the House Committee on the Judiciary is set to consider its version of Booker’s Keep Americans Safe Act of 2019, introduced in February, which would ban high-capacity magazines.
“We’re in the midst of a national gun violence crisis that is ravaging our country,” Booker said. “The consequences of continued congressional inaction are deadly. There have been more mass shootings this year than number of days — we cannot continue to accept this shameful status quo. While the world moves on to the next news cycle, the victims and their loved ones in places like El Paso and San Bernardino and Parkland and Las Vegas are stuck living with their pain and suffering every single day. We owe it to them, and all victims of gun violence, to do our jobs and pass meaningful gun safety measures that will make our communities safer.”
“This bill is based on a very simple concept — if you need a license to drive a car, you should need a license to buy and possess a gun,” Booker added.
In order to obtain a federal firearm license, the Federal Firearm Licensing Act would require the following:
- Certification that the individual completed firearm safety training, which must include a written test and hands-on training to ensure safe use and accuracy
- Completion of a criminal history background check
- Submission of information on the firearm the person intends to obtain, including the make, model, serial number, and the identity of the firearm seller or transferor
- Submission of fingerprints and proof of identity
The federal firearm license required by this bill must be renewed every five years, at which point the applicant would have to go through a background check and undergo firearm safety training again. The bill contains a mechanism for the Department of Justice to revoke a license if the individual poses a danger to himself/herself or others. It would also require the DOJ to regularly conduct checks to ensure that individuals are in compliance with the federal license requirements.
Source- Cory Booker press release
OPINION from Illicit Info–
If Booker really wants to save lives, I think he should join President Trump in doing everything possible to secure our southern border where opioids and fentanyl pour into our country and result in the deaths of 70,000 people every year.
Editor’s Note: While it is true that Booker does not mention “confiscation”, history tells us that before confiscation you must have registration. The line of thought is laid out above. I just wanted to be clear that we are not trying to represent Booker to have said what Beto did, that he would demand “weapons of war” be turned in, in exchange for fiat currency presumably.
What do you think about this?
Let us know in the comments below.
Join us at SPREELY if you want REAL NEWS without the leftist censorship!
Dean James at Right Wing Tribune
More Corey Booker…
- Lock Him Up: Corey Booker Escorts 5 Illegals Across Southern Border Just in Time for Independence Day
- Corey Booker Backs Legislation That Would Result in Americans Being ‘Thrown in Jail’ If They Won’t Surrender Their Guns
- Senator Cory Booker Quotes Violent Racist Who Urged Murder Of Jews & White People
- Senator Corey Booker Seems To Be Obsessed with Sodomy